The cardiovascular research Master’s is a 2-year program (120 ECTS) providing students with tremendous opportunities to fulfil their personal ambitions. The program is research-oriented and has a multidisciplinary character.
Students are trained in state-of-the-art techniques in cardiovascular research and diagnosis and therapy. Cardiovascular research is interdisciplinary by nature and flourishes by the collaboration between clinical researchers and basic scientists. The interdisciplinary approach is a key element of the program.
This master has no specific tracks, it does however offer specialization by picking of optional courses.
This Master’s program aims to provide the general background for clinically oriented research. It offers a number of cardiovascular core courses to prepare for and complement the practical training in original major and minor research projects.
The major research projects are carried out at VU Medical Center, in affiliated hospitals, or in the research units of our partners in industry and government. Staff members of the Institute for Cardiovascular Research supervise these research projects. The Institute for Cardiovascular Research is involved in a number of international networks, facilitating internships in Europe or further afield.
A selected group of students will be offered the opportunity to take extra advanced courses with the added duty of taking on a research placement in a renowned research center abroad. These programs are known as top masters in the Dutch system.
An overview of the components of this master:
- Compulsory courses:
- Pathophysiology of heart and circulation (6 ECTS)
- Clinical and biophysical aspects of heart and circulation (6 ECTS)
- Vascular function and metabolic diseases (6 ECTS)
- Remodeling of the circulatory system (6 ECTS)
- Biostatistics (3 ECTS)
- Scientific writing and presenting in English (3 ECTS)
- Optional courses, you are free to choose from a range of courses (up to 18 ECTS). For instance:
- Cardiac diagnostics
- Genome analysis
- Proteomics analysis
- Molecular pathology
- Life cell imaging
- Biostatistics and Clinical epidemiology
- Ethical dimensions of medical research on human subjects
- Working with radioactivity
- Animal experimentation and a basic course in teaching
- Research projects:
- Minor research project (21 ECTS)
- Major research project (42 ECTS)
- Literature project (9 ECTS)
All students with a Bachelor’s degree must take an exam on their basic knowledge of biology and physiology in order to join this research Master’s program.
For more information or the requirements and registration see the admission and application page on the VU website.
Please note the following:
- VU University Amsterdam requires all international applicants to pass an English language proficiency test.
- In order to contact this master’s master coordinator please email to Dr. E. Kanters at email@example.com. For more information see the contacts page of this master.
- Further information about the MSc program Cardiovascular Research Master.
- A more detailed description of the courses can be found in the study guide on the VU website and in the study guide on the VUmc website.
Disclaimer: This page contains a consolidation of information found on the VU, FALW, VUmc and master specific websites; hence no rights can be derived from the information on this page, for more up to date, detailed and accurate information please refer to aforementioned websites!